Sunday, April 20, 2008

They Are Like The Cardigans, Without Female Vocals

John went to Sweden. For school. Vacation.

He came back talking about Kent.

"They are kind of like The Cardigans. Without the female vocals."

They definitely are not. Love them both. But. The only thing they have in common. Is their motherland.

I wish every band from Sweden sounded like Abba. Secret wish. Not so secret.

John talked up Kent. I had never heard them. But they were added to my mental. And physical. "Must look for" list. Word of mouth. Sufficient reason.

I didn't find a Kent album until after leaving Syracuse. Flipping through compact discs at the Princeton Record Exchange. I wasn't even looking for it. Although it was on my list. I found it. Used. A promo. What luck.

Michaela put me in touch with John. Facebook. I thanked him for introducing me to Kent. He probably thought I was crazy.

Kent - Isola. Found at the Princeton Record Exchange. For Erin.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This post made me dig out the Kent cd from my time in Sweden. Holds up well.

In Sweden, at this time, Refused had the number one single in the country for a song off of The Shape of Punk to Come. No other country in the world could pull that off.

I am not sure if I pointed you towards them at the time but try to find All Punk Cons by Saidiwas. Long out of print but reflective of a period of mid 90s mod influenced Sweedish post-hardcore.

John

Handsome Pete said...

If you're interested in more Kent I have two other albums. Hagnesta Hill (Eng) and Verkligen (Swe). I may have just botched the spelling of one or both of them.

But I don't feel like walking upstairs.

Saidiwas. I will keep an eye out for it. And do some active searching.

I wonder if The Doughnuts ever adopted that sound. I hope they never changed.

And still play out.

Anonymous said...

Let me know how the Saidiwas hunt goes. Desperate Fight Records I think. I had a look around and have the 'pre mod' ep which is straight edge hardcore - nothing that special.

I think the history of the bands is like this: The Donughts broke up and members became part of Saidiwas. Saidiwas and Refused broke up at the same time and reformed as the International Noise Conspiracy.

John

Handsome Pete said...

I was joking about The Doughnuts. I had no idea they were related to Saidiwas.

I saw The Doughnuts. Bordered on traumatizing.

I owned the disc. Also bordered on traumatizing.

Anonymous said...

I saw the Doughnuts as well - back in 1994ish - at the Lost Horizon. Very very bad.

I am not sure how they pulled off an international tour.

The band I am talking about is better than the Doughnuts.

Handsome Pete said...

Snapcase?