Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Stain Was So So at Best

1993 was my first trip overseas.

The most important part of my trip. That my parents take me to Tower Records London.

They fulfilled my request.

To this day. I couldn't tell you why I needed to go there.

South Street. The Boulevard. Either would have been sufficient.

But no. London. London was important.

We get there. It was at night. There was a line around the block.

"A line to get into Tower Records?"

That seemed strange. I had waited in my share of lines for equally ridiculous reasons. And like this time. With my mother. Hard Rock Cafe. Planet Hollywood. F.A.O. Schwartz.

We made our way to the back of the line. Where we established. That the line was not to get into the store. The line was for a Living Colour signing.

I really liked Living Colour. However. I was there to shop. I saw them through the window. As we made our way inside. That was good enough.

I remember going through the compact discs. I remember the rows. I brought home a good bit of music from this first trip abroad. From this stop. Fugazi and The Clash.

Across the Atlantic. At a record store. Available in the U.S. To purchase two albums. Available in the U.S. For far less money.

I didn't know any better. And neither did my parents.

Fugazi - Steady Diet of Nothing
. Import. Not really. For Mike A.

10 comments:

colinmcsherry said...

still one of my favorite bands of all time

Handsome Pete said...

I would like to re-purchase a lot of their albums.

Lost, sold, traded. Over the years.

colinmcsherry said...

i have all if u want me to fill in the gaps until u get the actual discs

Handsome Pete said...

Holla at me MacKaye.

Anonymous said...

I own the "Stain" album you speak of. Or, at least I did at one point. It may have become a victim of a late night microwaving back in my more youthful days.
camilli.

Handsome Pete said...

I thought the red jewel case was a pretty cool thing at that time. The music. Not so much.

Anonymous said...

Pete, you don't have LC's "Vivid" do you?

Anonymous said...

And yeh, I agree... Any cases that weren't the standard black were always appealing.

Handsome Pete said...

On cassette. I have the greatest hits. Courtesy of one Mr. Camilli. Chad. Not Mike.

Anonymous said...

Put er up there...pu-leeez