Sunday, April 20, 2008

Don't Be Cruel Wasn't Very Interesting (My Prerogative and I'm Sticking to It)

MTV News had a segment about compact discs. Those discs using creative packaging. Creative. Inventive. Different.

The piece dates from the early days of the compact disc. Earlier days. During the transition period. Tape to disc.

Airing around the time I started buying discs. Long box era. The discs were taking packaging to another level. I do not remember any in particular. Eurythmics. Possibly.

The segment showed the different ways labels were packaging their releases.

This may or may not have stoked my interest in unique packaging. But I certainly remember it.

I don't think I have ever made a purchase because of that. The packaging. But I will always defer to the more creative package. Of a band I already listen to.

Pet Shop Boys. Super Furry Animals. Spiritualized.

I once got into a bidding war on eBay over a Spacemen 3 compact disc with a gel filled case. I lost. I quit at fifty dollars.

INXS. I've heard. Welcome to Wherever You Are. Maybe not. Judith told me. The case becomes a box. Maybe not. Wrong album? Maybe.

An underutilized method of expression. Costs more. Compact discs don't sell. Less and less likely. To see more and more.

Super Furry Animals - Out Spaced. eBay purchase. For Mike D.

No comments: