Sunday, April 6, 2008

Beastie Boyos

They were on the cover of Select.

Compared to the Beastie Boys. This I don't get.

The cover stands out in my mind. I'm working from memory. It was sold in a magazine purge. eBay.

I loved that they were from Wales. That they were Welsh. Defended Welsh. I had been to Wales. I am Welsh. I don't speak Welsh. Or know much about it. But I liked this aspect.

The article prompted me to purchase God! Show Me Magic. The single. I am almost certain I ordered it from overseas.

I've been sitting here. Trying to figure out where I would buy my imports. Prior to using eBay or Amazon.

I finally put it together. I found something online at some point. Where I could order from the United Kingdom. The catalog would come to my email. I would pick through the releases. Send cash? Money order? Pre-Paypal.

I would make my orders. First. God! Show Me Magic. After the first few listens. I went ahead and ordered the full length.

I didn't move over to Amazon.co.uk/Amazon.com or eBay until 2000.

I take for granted how easy it is to buy imports. It used to take a good bit of leg work. You would rely on Tower Records. Or independent record shops. And you were often at the mercy of their stock.

It's almost too easy to get into foreign bands these days. The MP3 era has taken some of the fun out of it. You haven't lived until you've spend forty dollars on a pop album from Japan.

Obviously. I'm contributing to the loss of fun. Making it easier. But not everyone sees the joy in looking for an album. Or single. For months. Sometimes years.

Super Furry Animals - Fuzzy Logic
. This isn't the import. The original purchase was loaned to Eric along with an Everything But the Girl album. Never to be seen again. No hard feelings. That's college. For Mike D.

2 comments:

colinmcsherry said...

speaking of "loaning out" I still have ur handsome boy and a snapcase disc to return. Let's get together soon

Handsome Pete said...

I forgot about both discs.

I will be serving federal jury duty next week. Perhaps we can connect after work one day.