Thursday, March 27, 2008

You're Kidding Me. A Radiohead Song?

Between 2000 and 2002 I lived in Astoria. Give or take a few months. Roughly. Two years.

I had lost interest in hardcore. I had the remnants of my compact disc and vinyl collection. No shows.

I was a temporary employee at Credit Suisse First Boston. My department moved. I sat next to Josh. He looked familiar.

We became friendly. He had been a year ahead of my at Syracuse University. Hence. Familiarity.

He also collected Stryper vinyl.

And enjoyed Pretty Girls Make Graves. And the Murder City Devils. He convinced me on one. Not the other. Cathy has done a better job. But not great.

Josh informed me Adeet worked down the street. I hadn't seen or spoken to Adeet in a few years. We got in contact.

Nine-Eleven happened. CMJ was pushed back.

Dave got us into the Drive-Thru Records showcase. We ran into Chris. I decided to go to the EVR showcase at CBGB the following day. Tim was there. Maybe Eric. My first show in a long time.

I missed a lot during my self-imposed exile. Especially in my hometown. My home region. Philadelphia. Not Langhorne. Between Ink & Dagger and Blacklisted is a gap of missed music. Missed shows. Missed bands.

Knives Out - Heartburn
. Acquired on eBay. This appears to be out of print. Per Deathwish Inc. If not. Let me know.

2 comments:

Matt Wrote This said...

funny you mention cmj. my co-bestman at my wedding was a features editor for that very same magazine at the time you lived in astoria. he, too, lived in woodside, astoria. AND went to Syracuse, a year behind you, of course.

the world shrinks even as it expands.

Handsome Pete said...

I lived very near to Woodside.

"This isn't Astoria. This is Woodside."

"No. My address is Astoria. My landlord is Greek."

No one was a year behind me at Syracuse University. Forever freshman. Two years at least.