Tuesday, March 18, 2008

And I Thought It Was a Cool Picture

I thought it was such a cool picture. I must have been in tenth grade when the ep arrived in the mail.

My mom was a good sport when it came to ordering from labels and distros.

She developed a rapport with a number of them.

That said. I thought it was such a cool picture. Everything about it. Right down to the Vans.

Which I always assumed were blue.

I had been wearing Vans for years. But I had never considered that model. Until the picture.

I thought Aaron was the pinnacle of cool. In that photograph.

Looking back I have to wonder why? I can't blame age. I should have known better.

And looking at it now? It hasn't aged well. And I feel let down.

Made worse because I never bought those Vans.

Seaweed - Four
. Purchased through Sub Pop. Sold. Acquired from Livewire. For Livewire.

[Image via www.subpop.com]

6 comments:

Kimberly Van Schoyck said...

The whoas of the anti-buyer's remorse. Perhaps this is a lesson in life. When you see it, snatch it.

Anonymous said...

After all these years, I still have trouble getting into these guys. That is not to say I don't respect their music. Pete, what do you like most about them? Sound? Lyrics? Style? Or something else?

Anonymous said...

Forgot to mention I like "Kid Candy". I hear some "Killing in the Name" similarities in the guitars there. Dunno if that was intentional or not. Although it appears Rage wrote (read: released) their song first.

Handsome Pete said...

When I got into them (around 1993) I was basically buying anything in the Sub Pop catalog and back catalogue.

While Hazel, Six Finger Satellite and Red Red Meat haven't left much of an impression on me, I find Seaweed holds up remarkably well.

(If any one wants to sell anything by Hazel, Six Finger Satellite or Red Red Meat, hit me up.)

I think Seaweed has a great sound. There is something about them I will always associate with a lot of other bands I was just getting into or really into around that time.

Bands like Quicksand, Embrace, Rites of Spring and Lifetime.

All of these bands, including Seaweed, were a departure from the punk rock that I had been listening to up to this point. And they were also something different from the grunge of the era (most of which I liked as well.)

Anonymous said...

Yeh, I definitely hear both punk and grunge influences in their music. I'll give it a few more listens and see if it settles in. After all, I hate most Radiohead albums at first. At first. ;)

Keep 'em coming man, I love having new material to listen to everyday while working! :D

Handsome Pete said...

I hate most Radiohead after the first listen.

Well. That's not really fair. Or true. I like the first three records.

So half. Half is a more accurate statement.