Friday, March 21, 2008

A Huge Poster

In sixth grade John moved to Eagle's Mere. We became friends through skateboarding. As was the custom of the era. This led to football, street hockey and other rituals of suburban youth.

At this point. My tastes trended more punk rock, with a sprinkling of hip hop. John. Coming from Brooklyn, was almost exclusively into rap and hip hop.

(John had the first Starter jacket that I can recall.)

Over the years we would play with Legos. G.I. Joe. Videogames. And listen to the sounds of Black Sheep. Public Enemy. A Tribe Called Quest. Third Bass. LL Cool J. Boogie Down Productions.

At some point we tackled the important issue of "Who is more real?"

"Kris Kross?" or "Another Bad Creation."

Kris Kross won.

John had an older sister. Bless. She was in high school.

She listened to Depeche Mode. I thought that was hot. Well. Whatever was hot at that age.

Shortly after John's move to the neighborhood. I got into Depeche Mode. With the release of Violator.

Bless had a huge Violator poster in her room. I would annoy her about the band. She was always very friendly about it. I never thought of her as punk rock. I knew she was into different music. If anything. I remember her being like the older daughter in Uncle Buck.

Not punk. But dark. Maybe goth. I didn't think in those terms. At that age.

On the other wall. A huge 101 poster.

Over the years I would see this compact disc. Consistently. I would shy away from it. I was too cheap to buy double discs. (Substance. Merry Christmas!)

Eventually. A few years ago. I finally made the purchase.

Depeche Mode - 101 (Disc 1), (Disc 2). Next on the discography list. Deluxe editions. Etc. First The Cure. Purchased used. Somewhere. For Dave.

No comments: