Sunday, March 23, 2008

Literally. Catching Up With.

At that point I had only purchased Violator.

I was really into them. And decided I wanted more.

My next purchase. Catching Up With.

I was let down. The biggest complaint being "it sounds like eighties music."

Which isn't untrue. But not necessarily something I would complain about as I got older. Nor was it something I would have complained about earlier. You know. Since it was the 1980s. And I was a young consumer of music.

I was no "Goth." Not that the term would have meant anything to me in seventh grade.

But. It wasn't as dark as I had hoped. Dark the whole way through.

My mother was. Is. A lover of Violator. And I think she enjoyed this as well.

Me? I sold it. Only to be re-requested at Christmas. A recurring theme. Thankfully. By ninth or tenth grade my tastes had grown considerably.

And pre-. Is my preference.

Depeche Mode - Catching Up With Depeche Mode
. Current disc. A Christmas gift. For Dave.

2 comments:

Handsome Pete said...

Am I the only person who divides their career into pre- and post- Violator?

Anonymous said...

Nope. "Music for the Masses" was a good indicator of things to come, but nothing could've prepared DM fans for "Violator".