Sunday, March 23, 2008

Mixtapes of the Middle Nineties

Some mixtape staples of the nineties.

For the ladies.

Obviously. I think the only friends, male, who received mixtapes of some variety. Colin. Mike D.

Some of these tracks probably made their way into the early oh-ohs. (Is there an acceptable term for this decade?)

I hated the mix compact disc. Mixtapes had character. Now I only operate with full albums. The last mix -- and it was a compact disc -- maybe four years ago?

A highlight of the mixtape. The packaging. I put way too much time into the packaging. For something that looked like an elementary school collage when all was said and done.

Magazines and catalogs were my medium. I made a menswe@r tape. For listening in the Volvo. Denim page of a J Crew catalog.

Still Life - Truth
Falling Forward - Third Cross Salute
Morrissey - My Love Life
Suede - She's Not Dead
The Cure - Pictures of You
Depeche Mode - Somebody
The Smiths - Cemetry Gates
Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart
Suede - The Living Dead
Inkwell - Shine So Bright
Christie Front Drive - Fin

Christie Front Drive - Self-titled, sometimes known as "Stereo"
. Purchased many years ago. For Tom.

2 comments:

colinmcsherry said...

fyi i actually have every mix tape that you made me while at syracuse. although not the variety as above, mostly hardcore and some metal. now i need a tape deck to enjoy these again. thinking i want to listen to some canon.

Handsome Pete said...

Ask. And you shall receive. I will have the Canon seven inch up in the next few days.

Tape decks are few and far between.