Saturday, August 2, 2008

Their Image Fascinating, but I Never Got around to Buying Anything by Glay

It had been a while since the last Japanese purchase.

A few years. At least.

I had been spending a lot of money on Japanese pop and rock. It probably started with Pizzicato Five. Maybe Towa Tei.

Doors Merzbow and The Boredoms never opened.

Cornelius. Buffalo Daughter. Kahimi Karie. Takako Minekawa. Puffy. Fantastic Plastic Machine. These discs did not always come cheap.

Each related to the other. Leading me to the other.

Eventually. My searching. My buying. My listening. Moved beyond Japan. To the periphery. It came to encompass Momus, Laila France and Toog.

The web was my resource. Reading fan sites to the best of my ability. Making lists of Japanese music. Acts. Bands. Searching eBay. Amazon. Spending thirty dollars. Forty dollars.

Cost meant nothing. Even at a time in my life. When it most certainly should have.

My interest in Japan moved beyond music.

Into culture. Fashion. Art.

A Bathing Ape was on my radar. Because of Cornelius.

I tried to force an interest in anime. In manga. It didn't take. It still hasn't.

Eventually. Obsessions. Interests. Become less so. They are swallowed up into the day to day. The narrative that is me. My interests. My quirks. Something new I can talk about.

Each time my interests expand beyond my comfort countries. The U.S. The U.K. Sweden. Even if it's only something as trivial as music. I benefit.

LOVE PSYCHEDELICO - This Is Love Psychedelico
. AKA Music. New.

No comments: