Thursday, August 14, 2008

Are You Having a Laugh?

They weren't a band I thought very highly of.

Burn was never a favorite. Something I take a lot of abuse for. Verbal.

Physical. Less so.

It was no surprise the twelve inch on Revelation never caught my attention.

(That doesn't mean I didn't own it.)

It had been well over ten years since my last listen. During those years I generally referred to them as "Proto-Nu-metal." Not positively.

When I saw the major label release in Princeton. I had to own it. It was a given. A self-imposed rule. Guideline.

I'm buying up everything hardcore or hardcore related from the 1990s. Regardless of like. Dislike. Or neutral. This fell into one of those three categories.

Eventually I gave it a listen. Expected to have a laugh. Well. It isn't great. It also isn't as laughable as I expected. No guffaw.

I think my spite. General disdain for the band. Comes back to the near-impossibility of selling their seven inch. It came from this album. I don't know if I ever sold it. It may have eventually found its way to the trash.

Orange 9mm - Driver Not Included. Princeton Record Exchange. Bargain punk.

6 comments:

colinmcsherry said...

thats funny, i always assumed you were a fan, learning something new about peter today, good stuff

Handsome Pete said...

Burn or Orange 9mm?

I don't hate either. Neither is a band I'll ever really want to listen to.

When it comes to Burn. I'm in a real minority there.

Matt Wrote This said...

i never actually listened to Burn, but I had this O9mm record when it came out, and still play it on occasion. The week I was introduced to this record was the same week I was introduced to Marilyn Manson and Korn.

Though I had 2 Korn records, I never took to Marilyn Manson. Sold the Korn, still have Driver (Not Included).

The 2nd major label release was such a disappointment after this record though.

Jeremy said...

I sold this CD years ago. Sometime earlier this year I needed to hear it again. Found it online and asked myself why I ever got rid of it. Not as great as the EP but still a solid album.

I first saw them at Warped Tour '95 in Camden. Last time I saw them was at a club in York, PA before Itragic was released. Those were the days!

kismet78 said...

"do you wanna watch yourself fly? do you wanna keep holding on and on and on?"

i love them. more than burn. argue away! ha.

Handsome Pete said...

Love is a strong word when discussing Orange 9mm. Very strong.