Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Drawing Such a Blank

Through the late-nineties and the early aughts most rap and hip-hop was introduced to me via three sources.

Colin. Chris. Jude.

Their tastes distinct. With points of overlap.

Colin my source for all things Wu. Eventually Def Jux. And related underground hip-hop.

Chris my source for commercial. Gangsta. And Dirty South.

Jude my source for the cerebral. Native Tongues. His favorite.

I can't pinpoint when they were introduced to me. Or by whom.

By their sound. Their image. Potentially all three. Possibly none at all. Another source. A magazine. Internet. Individual.

After I returned home from Syracuse. Before I moved to New York.

They became part of my collection. In heavy rotation.

Today. Only an afterthought.

Requested.

They're not in my iTunes. EP. LP. Never ripped.

Years. Of using the program. They were overlooked.

Jurassic 5 - EP. ??? New.

No comments: