Monday, August 25, 2008

East/West Beyond Bad Boy/Death Row

During the nineties, the preference was East Coast rap. Hip-hop.

Rarely did we stray from the region.

It was permissible to listen to The Pharcyde.

"They're from the West Coast. They sound like they should be from the East Coast. It isn't their fault."

Actual attempts at justification.

So a lot of people I knew listened to The Pharcyde.

It amazes me that things like this were important to me and my friends.

Even with the acceptance. I never listened to them. Rarely. If at all.

It wasn't until PALM released their first batch of director DVDs. I bought all three immediately.

Gondry. Cunningham. Jonze.

(Lost to the apartment. Thirteenth and Jackson.)

The Jonze disc reintroduced me to The Pharcyde. I had forgotten.

The time had come to pick something up. I did.

If only I had done the same with the Fat Lip compact disc. I had it in my hand. It continues to elude me.

The Pharcyde - Cydeways: The Best of The Pharcyde
. Best Buy. New.

No comments: