Monday, July 14, 2008

This Was Also the First Time I Had Heard of Guy Fawkes Day

A Working Holiday seven inch was the first time I heard them.

November. Pitchblende. Swirlies.

I bought it for Pitchblende.

The seven inch. One of my earliest experiences with. Exposures to. Simple Machines Records.

I enjoyed the concept. A seven inch a month. Dedicated to the holidays of that particular month.

As much as I might have appreciated the endeavor. I never actively sought out the additional releases. Of the series.

It was an ambitious project. The label continued to be creative. Building on their history.

The Machines compilation. A compact disc collection of the early releases from Simple Machines. Early vinyl releases. These too were a series. A themed series. Ambition started early.

It reminds me. Of the Sub Pop Singles Club. Less a concept. Though equally as effective in distributing new music. Exposing people to new music. Encouraging new music.

It would be nice to see this again. In lieu of the "sampler."

Vinyl and compact discs. Or one. And not the other.

Digital releases. Though. Not as exciting.

A concept better suited. For certain labels. Of a certain size.

A series. Related singles. A theme. Even a subscription service. To excite the consumer. The fan.

I understand the cons. Difficulties for the label. Deadlines. Limitations. Cost. Coordination.

Maybe this continues to happen. Maybe I'm living in the past.

Maybe the memories are all I have. Maybe I'll never see this again.

Swirlies - They Spend Their Wild Youthful Days in the Glittering World of the Salons
. AKA. Bargain bin.

No comments: