Friday, July 4, 2008

Stumbling on a CD Single Always Feels Like a Better Score

Phil never knew it. He's the one who directed me towards CD singles.

Overheard in physics. Or second hand. Via Mike Beard.

Phil praised the single. The b-sides. The extra tracks. Rarities. Bonuses.

If I had to guess. He was talking about Billy Joel. He loved Billy Joel.

That particular discussion. His promotion of the single. Modified my buying habits.

I had been buying full length albums. An EP here. Or there.

The amount of music I owned. Had been increasing steadily. With my foray into singles. It increased dramatically.

A particular nasty and expensive habit over the years. One not limited to a genre. Or genres.

The domestic single. Has been abandoned. By labels. By bands. By stores. Forcing my habit abroad.

Internationally. The single marches on. Bands and artists. American. European. Or otherwise. For the single. Continued release. For me. Continued purchase.

"Single 1." "Single 2." Import prices. They can be cost prohibitive. Difficult to be a completist.

Less difficult. With the Internet.

This is my habit. My joy. One I am not going to give up.

My pleasure. My excitement. In finding a used maxi-single.

Embrace - Hooligan. eBay. Used.

No comments: