Tuesday, July 22, 2008

I'll Tell You this Much, It's Better than Sid Sings

My seventh grade self was more than disappointed.

I had been listening to the Sex Pistols for a few years.

So when I learned Johnny Rotten. Lydon. Had a band after that.

I needed to have it.

The idea was greater than the reality.

I was let down.

It was not what I expected. From a punk band. A member of a punk band.

Post-punk hadn't entered my vernacular. Yet.

All I knew. Was the disappointment.

Still. I tried to like it. Kept it in my collection. Would listen to it on occasion.

I even bought a t-shirt.

I was really trying to like it. Forcing it.

It. Never happened. The disc was sold. Like so many others before it. So many others since.

This year. I realized I probably dismissed something pretty great. Because I didn't expect it. Or wasn't ready for it.

Tastes mature. I've learned time and time again.

This time. No different.

Public Image Limited - The Greatest Hits So Far. AKA Music. New.

1 comment:

Matt Wrote This said...

do you know I've frequently lied to people about being related to John Lydon?

most don't believe me, but for the very few who do?

magic returns to my life.