Monday, July 7, 2008

So This Predates Ten?

A few months ago. I started singing Hunger Strike. In the car.

Eventually. Everywhere. All of the time.

For no reason. Keep in mind. I can't sing.

I would sit. Watch the video. On YouTube.

And I would watch. Again. And again.

On my computer. On my phone.

Bookmarking it. To watch. When I felt the need.

I would forward the video to my friends.

Encouraging them to watch. Again. And again.

I had the album in my hand at Best Buy.

I couldn't bring myself to spend fourteen dollars on it.

Even with a gift card.

Finally. The album turned up at AKA Music. In the bargain bin.

A suitable price.

This obsession. Entirely new.

The single was released in 1991. I was in junior high school.

All over radio. MTV.

I never liked the song. I never even appreciated it.

Until this year.

Temple of the Dog. AKA. Bargain bin.

3 comments:

colinmcsherry said...

this post is soo funny, i used to love that song. i'll have to look up the video

Anonymous said...

this record is kinda cool because chris cornell basically wrote it all. 7 songs have him credited as the sole writer, the other 3 are co-written with the band. it's basically a zepplin fantasy for him. way better than his official solo lps.

Handsome Pete said...

The whole record is a lot better than I expected.

I think Hunger Strike put me off from listening to the band years ago. At the time I thought Vedder was the primary vocalist. I didn't enjoy his vocals in Pearl Jam, and didn't think I would in this either (I've since come around).

It's a shame really. I was a huge fan of Soundgarden. If my junior high self did a little more digging and was a little more savvy, I may have checked the album out long ago.