Friday, July 18, 2008

As Long as It Makes Sense to Me

In my discussion of lists. I might come off as a little crazy. At the very least. Obsessive.

The way I organize my iTunes is no different.

It's complex. In depth. Difficult to explain.

Overly complex. Overly in depth. Overly difficult to explain.

I can't imagine it being any other way.

Writing about lists. Reminded me of a comment I left on Idolator last month.

I'm currently organizing my iTunes. A long term project. 110GB worth. At least now I can take care of these things on the front end. The age of my Mac and issues I have with iTunes while running Firefox. Makes this rather time-consuming.

I have some organizational quirks.

Definitely "featuring" in the song title.

Album art. Becomes difficult for singles. If unavailable. Leave blank.

Formatting dates where applicable.

Multiple discs. (Single 1). (Single 2). (Disc 1). (Disc 2).

Compilation is ONLY for compilations.

I used to import singles without the a-side. I am going back through and importing the full single.

When I remember. I remove "live" from the song title. I know it's live. I have ears. I've become lazy with this.

I hate opening something I've downloaded. To find no track names.

I hate blank fields in iTunes.

I like the artist and album names to match the artist or album. Meaning A, And, The, Etc. Written numbers versus numerical. Punctuation. Sometimes I have to suck it up and choose one.

(Jesus and Mary Chain versus Jesus & Mary Chain.)

I removed "genre" from the iTunes window.

I always delete "album artist." (I think that's the field.)

I don't make playlists.

I own a Nano. And I rotate on an alphabetical basis. I play each rotation on random. Until I go through every song. Update. Repeat. It should take me about a year to get through everything.

If I want to listen to something specific. I use iTunes. Or a compact disc.

If someone uses my iPod. To play something specific. I have issues. It takes it out of the shuffle rotation.

The organization of my compact discs. Organization of new purchases. Organization of those to be organized. Organization of things to be ripped. Organization of downloaded items. All have their own ins and outs.

It's always been like this. Records. Tapes. Compact discs.

It's all very subjective. Subject to change. On a whim. And all makes sense in my head.

Galaxie 500 - On Fire. Christmas gift. New.

No comments: