Thursday, July 17, 2008

A Dozen Packages, Probably the Most in One Day

I kept a lot of lists. I still keep a lot of lists.

For anything. And everything.

Shopping lists. Bills. To-do lists. Lists at work. Lists. Lists. Lists.

I've always kept lists.

Most have been related to music. Some still are.

Singles. Discographies.

Things to burn. For people.

Things to buy. For me.

To buy. The longest lists. Bands. Albums. That I'm looking for.

The master list. At one point. It ran three pages.

Constantly adding to it.

There were a variety of ways to get added to the list.

A mention. A recommendation. An article. A review.

I would read the R5 show newsletter. Add any band to the list that sounded interesting.

Even if I wasn't going to see the show.

I would hear the band. When I got to them on the list.

If I was out. At a store. I would buy anything on the master list. Delete it accordingly. If acquired.

The main purpose. Of the list. To organize my purchasing. Online purchasing. eBay.

Start at the top. Five bands at a time. Search. Bid. Win. Buy.

If won. Cross off.

If lost. Leave open.

If looking for additional items. For said band. Leave open.

After the items were received. Repeat.

I never completed the list. Continued adding to it.

I had become obsessive. Packages. After packages. Arriving to my apartments.

Ultimately. I had to quit eBay. Financially. Untenable.

I had to quit the master list as well. It had become unmanageable. There was no filter. I would add anything. Order anything.

Currently. I have a small list. Lists.

One of maybe twenty bands or albums. Things I need to buy. When I get around to it. Either out shopping. Or on Amazon.com. Or Amazon.co.uk. Depending on my needs.

One of missing discs. And DVDs. Items I have loaned. That I doubt I will see again. Time to repurchase.

One of bands. Bands I want to buy the deluxe editions of their releases. The Cure. Depeche Mode. Pet Shop Boys. So on and so forth.

One of labels. A list of labels. All of which I want to buy the entire discographies of. I consider it a long-term project.

The above lists do not rule my life. My buying habits. The master list took some of the fun out of music. Of buying music.

It overwhelmed me.

Manitoba - Give'r. eBay. Used.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. Completely different than his Caribou work.

Handsome Pete said...

I prefer it. But probably because it was what I knew first.