Monday, June 30, 2008

The More Successful Band Should Get to Keep the Name

Oxford Valley Mall. Shopping with Kim.

New releases. The London Suede.

Is that Suede?

It was.

The first time I saw a "UK." A "London." Added to a band's name. To distinguish it from another. Of the same name. American bands.

I assume American.

They were still Suede to me. Still are.

I don't know how long labels had been doing this. I know it continues.

I was hesitant to buy the EP in question. I wanted to be positive I was purchasing the band I liked. The Nude on the back. Confirmed.

"The London" or not. This is my favorite Suede release.

Suede - Stay Together. The Wall. New.

2 comments:

Jeremy said...

That happened to Sleeper from Staten Island. A UK band of the same name had more hits overseas and probably a better lawyer. I think I remember seeing one of their releases as Sleeper UK in my old college radio station. That was eventually dropped and Sleeper (US) became Serpico.

They just recently set up a MySpace profile:

http://www.myspace.com/serpicosiny

Handsome Pete said...

I did know that. I had been looking for a Sleeper shirt some time ago.

While I like Serpico, I definitely prefer Sleeper.

The It Girl and Smart. Quality female-fronted Britpop. If that's your thing of course.