Thursday, June 5, 2008

Surprising Finds in West Philadelphia and All Because I was Early

Arrived for The Simpsons Movie. The Bridge. We were early.

There was time to kill. To waste.

Parking was validated. The car wasn't going anywhere.

We decided a walk around University City was in order. That part of University City. We didn't go far.

We came across a record store. I knew how I would be spending my next thirty minutes. To an hour.

It was the first time I had been there. I didn't know it existed.

It may have been there for years. I'm sure it was. I spend limited time in University City. West Philadelphia in general. Mostly for dining. Ethiopian. Indian. Pakistani.

This place was new to me. Those are sometimes the best.

I made my way to the used section. Students like to sell out and/or drop out of hardcore.

Often their music finds its way to the local record shops.

I speak from experience.

"You're selling Earth Crisis and Bloodlet? And buying John Cougar Mellencamp and The Moody Blues?"

Yes. Yes I was.

I was limited on time. So I made my way quickly through the used compact discs. Incredibly. I found Godspeed. I was really excited about this. Finding what really isn't a very good release.

If it's of the nineties. And hardcore related. That tends to trump any quality issues.

I checked the watch. I still had time.

I flipped through the seven inches. I no longer have a record player. Yet I still go through records. I enjoy it.

Four Walls Falling.

Statue.

Some others.

I thought Sam would be interested in the Statue. I gave him a call.

He was.

Something to Say. On white. No real value.

I always thought. Prior to that day. The release was a ten inch.

It was not.

Statue - Something to Say. Digital version acquired on Livewire.

[Image via imagecache2.allposters.com]

No comments: