Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Does Every Band, Regardless of Genre, Go Through a Country Phase?

Every band eventually comes across Gram Parsons.


Even The Byrds came across Gram Parsons.

That might be a gross overstatement. It is a gross overstatement.

Sometimes it's Johnny Cash.

Band. After band.

Return to "their" roots.

What they think are "their" roots.

American roots.

Influencing bands. Artists. Across the musical spectrum.

Split Lip. (Chamberlin.) Bruce Springsteen. Asteroid #4. Tim Burgess. Kula Shaker. (The Jeevas.) Supersuckers.

They say Menswe@r as well. Unconfirmed.

Supersuckers - Must've Been High. Used at AKA Music. Not quite bargain bin.

2 comments:

Matt Wrote This said...

you know, I have their album "La Mano Cornuda" and it was almost a full year before I realized that the last track repeats the entire album again in one track.

Also, they always had a little bit of country in them, even from the very start. Ya know, even as a Sub Pop punk band.

And man, I STILL can't get over Dancing Eagles' sideburns!

Handsome Pete said...

I couldn't even tell you what their other albums sound like. I hadn't listened to them since tenth grade or so.

Memory tells me there were some rock-a-billy influences.

I could be wrong.

Hopefully more will find their way into bargain bins.