Thursday, June 26, 2008

Greatest Hits Do Not Count and Neither Does Bona Drag

Favorite album by The Smiths. That was the question.

The Smiths. Strangeways. The Queen is Dead. Meat is Murder.

Four choices.

Someone responded. Hatful of Hollow.

It can't be. It isn't an album. There was a debate.

I stand by my opinion.

A greatest hits. Technically. No. The concept is the same.

I am not opposed to greatest hit packages. Or. Collected works. Rarities. B-sides. But these aren't albums.

Greatest hit releases. Perfect for the casual fan.

For me. That means. Styx. Journey. Bruce Springsteen. Elvis. David Bowie.

Even then. They don't allow for a complete picture. Of an artist. Of a band.

They can open doors. Can be a good starting point.

Though. I'd rather have the best album. Over a greatest hits. A better starting point.

Greatest hits. Collected works. Rarities. B-sides. Serve a second purpose. Completion.

I may own every album. Most. If not all. Singles. Of a band. An artist.

And I will buy the greatest hits release. I will buy the collected B-sides.

I will double up. Triple up. On many tracks.

I don't expect people to understand. They may even think I'm wasting money. It makes sense to me.

I want the entire body of work. Regardless of. If the release contains any new material. Or not.

The Smiths. New Order. Happy Mondays. Stone Roses. Morrissey. Suede. Oasis. Blur. The Cure. Depeche Mode. Erasure. Pet Shop Boys. Ian Brown. Joy Division. All fall into this category.

I will buy the same songs over. And over.

This can be a greatest hits. A collected works. B-sides. Rarities. As long as it is a distinct. And separate release.

Embrace - Fireworks (Singles 1997 - 2002)
. eBay. Used.

No comments: