Thursday, October 30, 2008

Shoegaze, Shoegazer, Shoegazing

I had been listening to the genre via My Bloody Valentine.

Unbeknownst to me.

To me. My young self. It was punk. All-encompassing.

My Bloody Valentine. Agnostic Front. The Cure. Nirvana. The Clash. Fugazi. Depeche Mode.

With time. Things separated.

Dutifully reading Thrasher. One of my top resources for finding new music. Between 1986 and 1996.

In or around 1993. I'm guessing the Sounds section of the magazine. I am introduced to Velocity Girl.

Mentions of Primal Scream. In regards to their name.

Mentions of My Bloody Valentine. In regards to their genre.

"Shoegaze."

I had the word. I ran with it. Ride. Slowdive. Lush.

Although not Velocity Girl. Except for a few tracks on Copacetic I don't consider them part of the genre.

Even if they indirectly introduced me to it.

(That's not to say they aren't one of my favorite bands in their own right.)

Chapterhouse - Whirlpool. Princeton Record Exchange. Bargain rock.

No comments: