Saturday, October 11, 2008

At Least I Had the Presence of Mind to Put the Joan of Arc Back

I made my way to Generation Records.

It was the middle of the day. I was on the clock.

Browsing. I was looking for things I had sold. Things I had never heard. Things that I had missed while immersing myself in other genres.

Here was something.

The album had come out a few years earlier. It was never something that I felt I needed to buy.

I had been indifferent to Jawbreaker. The indifference carried over.

The artwork was clean. Like a lot of Jade Tree releases. I decided to make the purchase.

Based on that alone.

After a few listens my indifference took over. Collecting dust. It was sold.

It became a standard reference for me when discussing underwhelming albums.

How wrong I had been.

A few more years. A repurchase. Ultimately. An appreciation.

Jets to Brazil - Orange Rhyming Dictionary
. AKA Music. Used.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Have you given Jawbreaker a second listen?

Handsome Pete said...

Yes sir. Not so indifferent anymore.

Anonymous said...

This makes me so happy! I am so gay for this album, though I never liked the follow-ups much. But Jawbreaker still maintains favorite band status a good decade-plus after first hearing them.

Handsome Pete said...

I never heard the follow ups. How many are there?

I know of one. I think.

Unknown said...

Good to hear.

Jawbreaker still goes down as one of my favorites of all time. Saw them my freshman year with Jawbox in Providence - a good show but I sensed it was all coming to an end by that point.