Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The One Hit Wonder Moniker They've Been Saddled With Diminishes Their Body of Work

It was a weird "era" in British music.

A little bit post-Mondays. A little bit pre-Britpop.

Jesus Jones. Stereo MCs. EMF. Soup Dragons. Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine.

Some may fall under the Grebo umbrella. Technically speaking.

Genres rarely deal with technicalities.

A weird era. An underappreciated era. Upon revisiting.

Jesus Jones - Perverse. Rehoboth Beach, DE. Random bargain bin.

5 comments:

Stephen said...

I'm glad you mentioned this actually because I was thinking about jesus jones, emf, etc the other day and wondered how their full length records were. after hearing madchester stuff years after these songs were hits it seemed reasonable that they might be of the same ilk, just with more pop appeal.

Handsome Pete said...

I like what I've heard. Although I have bought and resold Schubert Dip a handful of times.

Maybe next time it will stick.

I think of a lot of those bands as trying to capitalize on the success of the Mondays.

Madchester style bands outside of Manchester.

Stephen said...

Yeah definitely. I should just break down and buy those records because I'm sure I can find them for pocket change in the cut out bin of every used record store.

J-Man said...

Oh Well, at least their 'One Hit' was good enough to make it to my iPod shuffle. You have to be selective when your only traveling with 250 songs.

Handsome Pete said...

Well everyone needs more than one track from Jesus Jones. I'll repost this.