Friday, September 19, 2008

Initially I Thought Walter Schreifels Was in the Band

Embarrassing admission: Prior to a few years ago. I had never heard Token Entry.

It was not for lack of trying.

Their t-shirts were everywhere. On people. In photographs. In the back of Thrasher. That was my introduction.

As a teenager. I associated them with Gorilla Biscuits. Without actually hearing them.

This association (real or imagined) was enough to make me want to listen to them.

Though wanting to listen did not mean it actually happened.

I felt they were not accessible. I never saw the records. Assuming they were out of print.

I never saw a compact disc. Not at a show. Not through a distro. Not at a store. Since it was the mid-nineties I'm sure there was a Lost and Found version out there.

It was before Amazon. Before eBay. Before digital files. None of my friends owned anything. Listening to Token Entry was not going to happen.

As I got older my interests moved in and out of hardcore. Token Entry was pushed to the back of my mind.

I wasn't actively looking. But was the digital age that finally delivered. I downloaded the albums.

Realizing rather quickly. I had heard Token Entry. As interpreted by Kid Dynamite.

Token Entry - The Re-Issues. Princeton Record Exchange. Bargain punk.

5 comments:

Brett said...

I haven't listened to TE since 9th grade. I had them on a dubbed cassette that has long since been lost. The only thing I remember is the chorus to Weight of the World. Anxious to hear these tunes. I don't even remember if I liked them or not.

Handsome Pete said...

I love both records.

It bums me out that I didn't hear them until so much later in life. I would have loved this band in my younger days. Skatboarding. Punk rock/hardcore.

The things that were important to a teen.

Stephen said...

i didn't listen to token entry until a few years ago because i always thought the artwork to jaybird was lame... not a good reason, but i do it all the time.

Handsome Pete said...

I've avoided many albums based on artwork alone. Of all genres.

My loss I'm sure.

When I was younger I hated a lot of the graffiti/cartoon style logos and artwork on a lot of hardcore albums.

I eventually came around. But it caused me to miss out on a lot of older bands for years. Unnecessarily.

Stephen said...

i felt that way about graffiti/cartoon art as well, but for some reason i never had a problem getting into outburst.