Monday, September 22, 2008

I Was a Teenage Riot Grrrl

She compared it to Exile on Main St. in an interview. Part of a larger review of the record.

The way Slip was my back door to straight edge hardcore. Exile in Guyville was my back door to the riot grrrl scene.

I began making purchases. Bratmobile. Team Dresch. Bikini Kill. Huggy Bear.

None had the staying power of hardcore. Including Liz Phair.

The politics and message. Were in tune with some of my own. However. My purchases were becoming increasingly Ebullition. Less Kill Rock Stars.

The discs were bought. Then sold. A purchasing pattern that has only recently come to an end.

Liz Phair - Exile in Guyville. AKA Music. Bargain bin.

2 comments:

BDH said...

just saw her perform this album line in Boston. great show.

Handsome Pete said...

I think someone in New York went. Aileen? Maybe Michaela. I was jealous.