Friday, March 20, 2009

Come With the Gentle People

Number Two, the second in the Big Brother video series, introduced me to the California sound of The Carrie Nations.

In seeking out their recorded output I learned they were the fictitious band featured in Beyond the Valley of the Dolls. A film I knew something about, but had never seen.

Its reputation preceding it, I managed to purchase a copy of the VHS. My mind was blown. It became a favorite. After one viewing I understood the cult-like appeal. I expected an ode to buxom actresses. It was. But it was so much more.

The soundtrack played a major role in contributing to the overall feel of the film. A soundtrack I was told existed only on vinyl. Vinyl in Europe.

Grant shared my love of both the movie and the soundtrack. When he told me his store was getting a compact disc version of the soundtrack, I was excited. More excited than anyone should be about a thirty year old soundtrack. Although this wasn't the first time. I'm sure it won't be the last time either.

He asked if I wanted to order one for myself.

The check was in the mail.

Carry Nation - Protect and Serve. Punk Rock Flea Market. Used.

No comments: