Saturday, May 10, 2008

I Wore Extremely Light Blue Jeans (Bordering on White)

The first time I went to The Lost Horizon.

I don't know who played. Don't remember. It was a matinee.

I knew of The Lost Horizon. I had never been.

It was very early in the school year. Either during orientation. Or the first week or two.

I met Harris. He was in my communications advising group. He was wearing a green Sense Field long sleeve t-shirt. We went around the room. Introducing ourselves. Harris was from Bensalem.

He described Bensalem as "where people go when they want to move out of the city, but it is really just Northeast Philadelphia." I paraphrase.

I talked to him after class. About Autumn. He was in a band. Shallow.

I decided to go to the show at The Lost Horizon. I didn't have a car. Or access to one at this point in the school year. I saw Harris sitting outside of Flint Hall. I told him I was going to a show. He declined.

I took a cab. Alone.

I saw Amy at the show. She graduated high school a year ahead of me. She offered me a ride back to campus after the show. I accepted.

Syracuse cabs are less than spectacular.

After the show I stood around awkwardly with Amy and her friends. She introduced me to them. I only remember Josh. Mostly because I read his zine. I didn't tell him that. I felt a little out of my element in that parking lot. I'm not sure why.

I went with Amy, Josh, some others to eat. Taco Bell. Erie Boulevard. Everyone was vegan. Of course. Syracuse. 1995.

I got a ride back to Day Hall.

Framework - Never Again. Purchased. Sold. Downloaded. Repurchased. On sale. Very Distribution.

4 comments:

Matt Wrote This said...

Harris Cohen! I believe I had both sets of artwork for their cd "To Trust is to Sometimes Surrender", the one before they had to change their name to Shallow Union No. 7, as there was some dance band from Kansas City MO also using the name Shallow, and they threatened them with legal action to change their name.

I remember the image on the CD being the head's side of a quarter. Also, their singer, Mike Yob, went to Drexel and I ran into him at a frat party.

Awkward times.

Handsome Pete said...

Yes. Harris Cohen. I couldn't tell you when I last saw him. At SU or down here.

You are spot on about the artwork on the compact disc though.

Anonymous said...

That mans speaks the truth about Bensalem.

Handsome Pete said...

It even has its very own Nifty Fifty's.