Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The Canterbury Tales

AKA has shelves around the store. Each focusing on a different genre. The content rotates. I haven't noticed a change in some time.

LA Punk. Japanese Psych. Glam Rock. The Canterbury Scene.

The Canterbury Scene intrigued me for months. Not quite a year.

I knew Soft Machine.

Every visit. Which ranges from week to week. To twice a month. I would look at the featured albums. Always putting them down. To go root through the bargain bins. Buying for quantity. If not necessarily quality.

Still. I would come back to it. Gong. Matching Mole. Soft Machine. Hatfield and the North. Each release. A blurb.

I decided to go with Hatfield and the North. Canterbury supergroup. According to the shelf. The blurb. Gong next. Maybe Caravan. Matching Mole.

Initial purchases. Before increasing my Soft Machine collection. Which stands at one.

For years. I walked a fine line when it came to prog rock. My share of Krautrock. Rush. Limited Yes. More and more I find myself in those sections in record stores.

Magma in hand. Debating what is a good Hawkwind starter.

And realizing I am lacking when it comes to Genesis. And King Crimson.

Hatfield and the North
. AKA Music. Not in the bargain bin.

No comments: