Saturday, May 21, 2011

South Africa

I always thought more music should come out of South Africa. Pop and rock. Not Ladysmith Black Mambazo.


When BLK JKS came out I saw it as a positive. The same thing with Die Antwoord.

With Die Antwoord as a starting point I wanted to look into more South Africa rap/hip-hop. Thanks to the magic of the Internet I was able to track down MaxNormal.TV and Sibot. I'm sure there is more out there.

Is there some sort of homegrown, hip-hop-esque, music of the townships? The baile funk of South Africa? I don't know. I'm asking.

When I was there in 2001 people predominantly listened to British and American music. I didn't come across a lot of domestic releases the way I did in New Zealand. Maybe South Africa has been releasing a ton of pop and rock. Maybe I managed to miss out. Please point me in the right direction.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There was a huge funk scene centered in nigeria in the 70's, and Im pretty sure there was some happening in the country of Zambia, they had a Pscyhadelic scene happening as well with great bands like Blackfoot, The Ngozi Family, etc....

Handsome Pete said...

I know about the Nigerian scene. And I should check out the Zambian scene.

But I always find it odd that South Africa hasn't had more of a presence in popular music. Perhaps things were limited by apartheid, but even since it ended, not a ton of output.