Sunday, November 14, 2010

Beginning of the End

I didn't like 13 the first few times I listened to it.


"Tender" went on forever and sounded like "Kumbaya."

Eventually it started to grow on me. It took repeated listens. And the passage of time. It doesn't come close to the albums that preceded it. Although it certainly stands on it's own.

Is it one of my favorite Blur albums? No. But there are a lot of great songs on here. "No Distance Left to Run" is a downer that I'd put in my Blur top ten.

I finally came around on "Tender". It took the Cornelius remix to do so. "Kumbaya" sentiments and all.

Blur - 13. New.

2 comments:

the nike nabokov said...

In hindsight this and the album prior is the best period of Blur's career. I just got back in to this record for the first time in a long time and sonically this is still way ahead of it's time. I feel like even bands like radiohead have tried to replicate this sound and haven't been successful. This even out Eno's Brian Eno.

Handsome Pete said...

I'm glad I finally came around on this album. After this post I've been listening to it more and more.