Saturday, May 17, 2008

If I Took Anything from My Trip to New Zealand It Would Have to be Compact Discs

New Zealand. A diet of lamb. A quest for compact discs.

Funded by unemployment checks.

I would hit record stores in every city. Every town.

The Libertines full length. In Christ Church. I regret leaving the Simian disc behind.

In Wellington. Or Auckland. There was a huge store. I was let loose. For a few hours. Ian Brown imports. The Hellacopters. Singles I was missing. And Warsaw.

I did not know Warsaw had ever been recorded or released. It was the undisputed find on the trip.

City to city. Town to town. Homegrown items. The Datsuns. The D4. The Dead C. Goldenhorse. The Brunettes. Minuet.

I sold The Dead C. Before leaving the country. I wish I didn't.

Only one album featuring the Brothers Finn. Split Enz.

Traversing the country with new purchases. I traveled with a backpack. And a smaller bag. Getting everything back to the United States was going to pose a problem.

I considered shipping. Via mail.

However. A new bag was the answer. An orange Puma bag with the specific purpose of getting my music home. Thirty-plus compact discs.

I picked up a nice pair of Pumas as well. Different store.

Warsaw. Purchased in Auckland or Wellington.

2 comments:

colinmcsherry said...

nice thanks, good addition to the joy division collection

Handsome Pete said...

Make sure to pick up the third "greatest hits" collection that just came out.

Kidding.