Thursday, May 8, 2008

Gavin from Burn

When I got into hardcore I never had a huge interest in New York Hardcore. Outside of the Revelation standards.

I knew a lot of the older bands. I loved Agnostic Front. But this was from a time when punk was punk. And the hardcore sub-genre wasn't even on my radar.

I knew Cro-Mags. Warzone. Murphy's Law. But in the mid-nineties. My interest wasn't there.

But mostly. I was listening to the popular sounds of the day. Vegan metal. Ebullition screaming. Generic "emo." I can think of myself as a victim of the era. But I don't.

I still loved Mouthpiece. Turning Point. 108. And even Shelter to a lesser extent. So I knew better options existed.

I've come to love New York Hardcore. Beyond Revelation. Yet I still wax nostalgic for things considered less than hardcore by most. Earth Crisis. Snapcase. Struggle. Still Life. Unbroken. Chokehold. A broad base of listening. I don't see the point in limiting hardcore. To a certain time. Certain bands.

What I did ignore during the nineties. Until about pretty recently. Meaning this past year. Is a lot of New York Hardcore of the nineties. Wreck-Age-centric.

I recognize most of it. As not being very good.

Bad Trip is one.

Die 116. The other.

My searching. My purchasing. Has not gotten too involved. But I hope to find more bands. In compact disc form. To add to my collection.

Die 116 - Dyna-Cool. A Very Distro purchase. On sale. More Wreck-Age NYHC recommendations welcomed.

No comments: