Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Deadguy, Rorschach and the Work Ethic

Deadguy and Rorschach have always been linked in my mind. I know they shared some members. It's more than that. I can never think of one without the other.

I think it goes back to something in the Very catalog. Like so many things do. So many memories of circling items for my birthday or Christmas. When it was on newsprint.

I think Nicole Orlando gave me my first copy.

Circling items. Handing it to my mom. As mentioned before on here. She dealt with her share of labels and distros over the years. The same held true for skateboards. As it did for music.

Phone calls. Mailing checks. Pre-Internet. Well. Pre-Internet as we know it. CompuServe world.

At some point around graduation or the start of freshman year. I picked up Work Ethic. Something about the cover has always stood out in my mind. It's very clean. Almost like New Order. Or Erasure. But nothing at all like that. Only to me. No one else.

Maybe the way "Deadguy" appeared.

It isn't worth trying to make sense of. Or understanding. Personal impressions. Not worth investigating.

Unrelated to my feelings on album artwork. I was interested in Kiss It Goodbye immediately. Upon hearing about them.

I never followed up. Or through. Never purchasing an album.

Kiss It Goodbye - Demo. I'm sure this was posted on Livewire at some point. And I'm sure that is where I got this digital version.

No comments: